Merry Chrismahanukwanzakah Reader(s)!
I like listening to Christmas music. It lifts the spirits. Cheers the soul. Fa la lala laa, la laaa la laaaa.
While most songs succeed in getting me into the Christmas mood, other songs are just annoying. The annoying ones seem to get the most radio play. I have decided to dedicate this post as the BEST CHRISTMAS SONGS EVER so that I can have something to refer to when other Christmas songs grate on my last nerve.
I previously (2010) had only ONE song that was on my list of wack. However, a friend of mine posted on his Facebook page one that is also annoying so I thought I would update. 🙂
Here are some of my favorites:
1. What Child is This Mary J. Blige and Andrea Bocelli. The way Mary sings this beautiful song makes me think I can sing it too. Oh and it talks about the wonder of Jesus’ Birth. I dream that I am Mary and Andrea is singing with me at the MTV Music Awards, all the heathens find Jesus, Israel and Palestine finds peace and we all ease on down the yellow brick road to ever lasting life.
Here is Mary and Andrea singing it live on Oprah.
2. Toy Jackpot Blackalicious. I picked this because I LOVE the commercial. It reminds me of an innocent time when the most important thing in life was to be able to wake up in the morning and rip open the gifts and play ALL day! Not because one of my close friend’s grammy winning boyfriend was/is a member of the group and I could have been a groupie if I was more into hip hop, but I am just now showing the group some appreciation. Nope that’s not it.
Here is the youtube video of the Target commercial. The second is the video with lyrics. 🙂
3. Love Letter Christmas Remix R. Kelly. I have a love/”Why R Kelly Why??” relationship with Mr. Kelly. The original song had been playing on my radio for a couple of weeks (last year) and when I heard the Christmas Remix, it made me chuckle. His sense of humor stole my Christmas Heart. I still have it on my iPhone to listen to when I feel lonely/..not lonely.
4. Santa Clause is Coming to Town Jackson 5. Like all upbeat Jackson 5 music, this makes me wiggle my head back and forth in an offbeat way or dance like Calrton Banks. In other words..you just can’t sit down and listen to this song. Why try?
Horrible Christmas songs:
1. A Wonderful Christmastime, Paul McCartney. In honor of my friend, Joel who has such a wry sense of humor I am surprised he doesn’t enjoy this song. AND it promotes drinking and partying (which he used to do with expertise) ..let me stop talking about Joel. This song stays in your head, which qualifies for annoying. I suppose.
2. Last Christmas Wham.
I don’t like this song. I H.A.T.E it. HATE. HATE. Abhor this song. It plays every year. Non-stop. White radio stations. Black radio stations. Country Music. Spanish and Turkish. It’s everywhere.
I will not post a link to this song.
I will not post the video ’cause it’s wrong!
I will not dignify it with a word.
I will not sing it with a bird.
I will not post this song by Wham.
I do not like it, Sam I am.
3. Last Christmas, Taylor Swift. I find Taylor only boderline annoying but the fact that she did a remake of this song puts her over the line. I’m glad she is mainly pop and has not landed on my favorite radio station in Oakland (102.9 KBLX – Quiet Storm!). If Cousin Kev plays this song than I will have to quit radio for good.
So what say you Christmas fans? What are you favorites? Which annoys you more? Share!
Merry Christmas. 🙂
6 responses to “Favorite Christmas Songs..and some wack ones. ;)”
5) This Christmas- Donny Hathaway
4) Last Christmas- Wham!
3) Someday at Christmas- Stevie Wonder
2) Christmas by the Bay- Tim Hockenberry
1) Christmastime is here- Vince Guaraldi
ALL the faves:
Side-eye for “Last Christmas”. Daps for “Someday at Christmas”. 🙂
Well, the song is called Alive haha.. Let us take a senocd to disect the video The video starts with car getting t-boned, but then you get some flashbacks of all these emtion filled moments (you know, moments that make you feel alive ), and then it goes back to his car getting rocked by the bus again and he gets up and walks away. Then it’s like he has a new lease on life, and is thankful to be alive.That’s what I get from it.
My ALL-time fave Christmas Song is Nat King Cole’s “The Christmas Song” of course. It’s been an lifelong tradition to listen to this on the radio with Mama Cheeks and sing along. Brings me the warm and fuzzies.
Also, the “Christmastime is Here” theme from A Charlie Brown Christmas, Boyz II Men “Let It Snow” and The Temptations “Silent Night.”
Definite daps for Charlie Brown!! Hey, did you find out if Charlie Brown Christmas was playing again?
Bocelli was born in 1958 to Alessandro and Edi Bocelli, even though they were advised to abort him.He has stated that his mother’s decision to give birth to him and overrule the doctor’s advice was the inspiration for him to hold a pro-life view toward abortion. They lived on the family farm, selling farm machinery and making wine in the small village of La Sterza, a frazione of Lajatico, Tuscany, Italy, which is about 40 km (25 mi) south of Pisa. Bocelli’s mother and younger brother Alberto still live in the family home. Bocelli’s father died in 2000.,
Our online site